Monday, January 2, 2012

Classroom Post Office


After our letter writing unit my firsties became fast and furious letter writers. Their take home cubbies were beginning to overflow with letters, so I decided to make a little classroom post office. I picked up a 12-pair (24 pocket), over the door shoe rack from Target, sliced it in half, and stapled it up under my whiteboard. I added a name label on each pocket and viola! My kids love to choose letter writing as the day’s writing center.

So no one feels left out, I have a “need a letter” pocket and an “already have a letter” pocket. Friends choose a stick from the “need a letter” pocket and then after they have written and delivered the letter, they deposit the stick in the “already have a letter pocket”.  The only requirement is that their letters have all 5 parts: heading, greeting, body, closing, and signature.

It has been so neat watching the students have an authentic purpose for writing! We are excited for Katie’s class to get their post office up and running so we can write letters to them too!

Here is the letter template we use. Katie and I add clip art to make the letter writing template thematic. Enjoy!

~ Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment