Ok, so clearly my sense of time is not quite right as I meant to write my follow-up post, oh um, on Tuesday! Can I just say, this week has been a week! I have been dealing with insurance stuff from a car accident 2 weeks ago - just when you think things are going smoothly then you get the call "Maam', your car has been totaled." Not the call I wanted.
But this is when you start counting all of your blessing - great hubby, cute puppies, 19 awesome kiddos willing and wanting to learn! So yes, stress is there, but I am all smiles today in my classroom!
Ok, ok, onto the math activity. On Monday, we did a jelly bean math activity focusing on fact families. On Tuesday, we stayed with the spring theme and did an egg race. This is how we did it:
- First, put I bought the small Easter eggs, the tiny ones that will fit on a plastic spoon.
- I put a number in the egg, and the student teams were challenged to write a fact family using that number as the whole (or we call it the daddy number).
- The students had to bunny hop to the bucket, put an egg on a plastic spoon and tiptoe back to their team.
- Each member of the team wrote a fact family on their own white board (you could use a paper recording sheet if you would like).
- Once all members had their fact families written down, they raised their hands in the air and I checked their work. If it was correct, they would tiptoe back to egg bucket and put a new egg on their spoon. If they were not correct, they would fix and then head to bucket!
- It was a blast!
What do you do in math to help combat Spring Fever?