Tuesday, March 13, 2012

New in the Shop: I Can Write a Story

Happy Tuesday to all of you! I took a day off today for some doctor's appointments. As nice as it is to have a day off, there is quite the amount of prep work that goes into it. Not to mention the 9 pages of sub plans, but maybe that is just because I am shall we say "a tad bit particular"! Katie can attest to my severe case of perfectionism, which at times may be borderline crazy! 


Enough chit-chat, let me get to the actual topic of today's post: a new mini-unit in the shop! We are so excited to present our I Can Write a Story! mini-unit. This primary grade narrative writing unit focuses on the four elements of a story (characters, setting, problem/climax, and solution) as the framework for students to write their own stories. 


My friends each published a story for their Parent Teacher Conference portfolios. I only wish I had snapped a few photos of their stories before I sent them home! They were pretty stinkin' cute! Let me see if I can paraphrase one: "Once there was a snowman who was at a party. It was too hot inside at the party so he started to melt. The children put the snowman in the freezer." Yes, very simple, but not to shabby for a first try! I am going to work the whole class through another round of story publishing, then I plan to put the character and setting cards and story maps out as a writing center.


To buy this mini-unit click on the picture!

1 comment:

  1. This looks really cute, I like the squares for the characters and setting!

    Michelle
    Apples and ABC's

    ReplyDelete